Saturday, May 14, 2011

Date Scones and Jam



Decided to make myself some date scones this afternoon, I was feeling in the mood for something a little sweet, these always fills the gap and freeze very well.
I think the recipe comes off an old Edmonds Baking Powder box had it so long cant remember.
Here it is.
Scones
3 Cups flour
4 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
1- 1 1/2 cups of milk I add a
little water instead of all milk.
50 gram butter.
I added a few dates to this recipe but you could add sultanas, whatever.
Stir dry ingredients, rub in butter, add milk and dates and mix quickly to a soft dough i feel you really need all the liquid. Turn onto a floured board roll lightly or pat out until 3/4 in thick, cut and place on a cold oven tray and bake in hot oven 230c 450 f
for 10 to 15 mins.
I had some homemade plum jam with them, knew it was homemade as I found a few stones in it!!!
On the knitting side of things haven't had a very productive week, mainly because I started lots of things and ended up for one reason or another frogging them. Back to making some more merino socks for Julies market next weekend. Easy knits.
I purchased a skein of VP yarn last week, lovely variegated colours. I am not sure what to knit with this but think it would knit up nice for a pair of socks for Josh. Hi Josh I know you go to my blog every day! Hope you have a great weekend.
Well it seems we are in for a rough night tonight with heavy rain warnings. It has been a glorious day today, like summer.
Take care and have a great weekend
Janet

2 comments:

  1. Mum your scones look so yummy date scones are my favourite too and i love plum jam, (now i feel like eating date scones, do you have a gluten free recipe for me so that i can make some?)did you make the blue tea cosy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie .....Thanks yes did make the tea cosy ages ago, thought I would use the teapot and nice china for a change. Dont have gluten free recipe I am afraid. You could just experiment.

    ReplyDelete

Oparara Arch

Oparara Arch

Bush Robin?

Bush Robin?
Sharing Lunch

Mirror Tarn

Mirror Tarn

Bush Walk

Bush Walk
Nearly There

Scotts Beach

Scotts Beach
Worth the Walk